The focus of this research is to:
- Collect and analyze ridership data from the CTA, Metra and Pace prior to and following the implementation of the Senior Ride Free Program and the Circuit Breaker Program.
- Develop a methodology for estimating the change in ridership due to the free ride programs.
- Collect and analyze Reduced Fare, Senior Ride Free and Circuit Breaker pass data to understand the impact on transit use by individuals.
- Conduct a survey of Senior Ride Free pass holder to understand changes in travel behavior and perceptions about the program.
- Collect senior population forecast data by sub-region to assist in estimating the future impact of a free ride program on the regional transit system.
To analyze the impact of the Senior Ride Free and Circuit Breaker programs on the Chicago area public transit system in terms of ridership and the travel behavior of seniors.
The UTC team will analyze ridership data prior to and following the implementation of these programs. A survey of Senior Ride Free pass holders will be conducted to understand travel behavior changes. Demographic trends in senior populations will be used to estimate the potential future impact of the Senior Ride Free Program on transit systems.
Expected Results or Products:
Please click on the links below to access the complete report.
Urban Transportation Center
University of Illinois at Chicago
412 South Peoria Street, Suite 340
Chicago, IL 60607
Voice: (312) 996.4713
Fax: (312) 413-0006