Regional Transportation Authority Intelligent Transportation Systems
The purpose of this research was to define the functional requirements to implement ITS projects, which will lead to implementation of demonstration projects. If successful, these ITS projects have the potential to improve service and information to customers as well as improve operations and reduce costs to the service boards: CTA, Metra and Pace.
- Principal Investigator
- DiJohn, Joseph
- Research Area(s)
- Policy Analysis
- Funding Source
- Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)
The RTA has a vision of region-wide ITS projects to improve vehicle operations, safety and traveler information to the region’s transit riders. Below is a list of regional projects being undertaken by the RTA:
- Transfer Connection Protection, where a vehicle is held for transferring passengers.
- Active Transit Station Signs, where electronic signs display next bus or train at stops or platforms.
- Parking Management Systems, electronic designation and information to motorists at park-and-ride locations.
- Regional Transit Signal Priority, or the giving or extending a green signal to a bus under certain circumstances.
- Regional Transit Intelligent Transportation Systems Plan, which will implement the Illinois Transit Hub, a component of the Gary-Chicago-Milwaukee Corridor.