Systemwide Information for Transportation Assessment: Transferability of Household Travel Survey Data in Calibrating and Validating Travel Forecasting Models
Two main objectives of this study are: 1) To determine whether transferability of travel data is feasible. 2) To identify potential approaches and develop a framework for transferability of household travel survey data.
- Principal Investigator
- Mohammadian, Abolfazl (Kouros)
- Research Area(s)
- Policy Analysis
- Funding Source
- Illinois Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The following steps will be taken to achieve the above-mentioned objectives:
- Compare household trip characteristics across areas at different boundary levels to identify socio-economic, geographic, and land use factors that may have influence on travel decisions.
- Categorize census units using the parameters derived from step 1 into homogeneous clusters, using different data mining techniques.
- Assign NHTS households to these clusters and calculate cluster-specific and census tract-specific travel statistics.
- Calibrate models with the synthesized data and compare then to current models and models calibrated using an actual travel survey data or NHTS add-on data set.