UTC will determine the direction of the research and perform the following tasks:
- Synthesize and present the data to enhance understanding and ensure comparison of similar types of data.
- Document the use of performance factors in other regions for distribution of funds.
- Identify best practices for funding paratransit and other special needs services.
- Perform demographic analysis of the region based on forecasts provided by the Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission (NIPC) and the Chicago Area Transportation Study (CATS).
- Identify appropriate criteria for evaluation of alternative funding structures and the mechanism for distribution.
- Research and understand federal requirements and performance implications of the long-term viability of conversion of federal capital grants to operating costs.
- Analyze the spatial and temporal relationships between cost structures and funding streams of each of the service boards. Explore revenue increases and distribution strategies as they relate to agency performance, the demographics of the region and the quantifiable criteria for evaluation.
To respond to the recommendations of the Northeastern Illinois Regional Transportation Task Force with respect to organizational changes in the regional transit system. To review mass transit funding issues following a Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) plan to seek $134.5 million in state revenue for Pace, Metra and the Chicago Transit Authority.
The Committee has outlined a series of policy issues that address collection of sales tax revenues, distribution of sales tax revenues, federal funding, RTA discretionary funding, cost recovery ratios, paratransit services, governance of RTA and service boards, and regional planning. UTC will address these issues through rigorous technical analysis.
Expected Results or Products:
A report outlining the findings/recommendations, an action plan, costs, anticipated impacts, and funding opportunities.
NOTE: A report or paper from this research is not immediately available.
Urban Transportation Center
University of Illinois at Chicago
412 South Peoria Street, Suite 340
Chicago, IL 60607
Voice: (312) 413-7568
Fax: (312) 413-0006