Transportation scholars and professionals joined UIC alumni, Urban Transportation Center faculty researchers and staff and University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) affiliated faculty colleagues at the UTC and CUPPA Alumni Association Reception January 14 during the 2019 Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
The reception, which drew more than 65 participants, was held at Penn Commons restaurant near the Washington Convention Center.
UTC Director Dr. P.S. Sriraj welcomed guests, recognized staff, affiliated faculty researchers, and graduate research assistants for their contributions.
Highlights from 2018 include.
- Research projects underway and scheduled for completion in 2019 include those involving mobility management, IDOT organizational structure, economic development, grade crossing safety, transit resiliency and mitigating the last mile.
- Five presentations were delivered through the UTC Seminar Series in 2018 featuring speakers from the RTA, MPC, CMAP, Metra and Pace.
- Hosted a special presentation to the Chinese Ministry of Information and Technology and co-sponsored a Smart Transportation Seminar with the German American Chamber of Commerce.
- Appointment of Dr. Joseph Fazio as Visiting Research Specialist
- Sarah Geinosky, MUPP, was the first recipient of the Joe DiJohn Memorial Fund Scholarship.
- Visit by past UTC Director Dr. Sue McNeil and Dr. Geetam Tiwari, former UTC graduate research and MouD Chair at IIT Delhi.
- Broadcast and print media coverage from Chicago and other news sources regarding the Byrne Interchange project, transit operations and management, traffic congestion, parking and other topics.
Around 30 alumni from the College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs (CUPPA) and other academic departments at UIC attended.
Want to revisit past TRB receptions hosted by the Urban Transportation Center? Please visit the links below:
- January 8, 2018 Reception.
- January 9, 2017 Reception.
- January 12, 2016 Reception.
- January 13, 2015 Reception.
Here’s a photo montage of the January 14, 2019 reception: