Here are overviews on some projects we’re researching right now.
1. Illinois Intercity Passenger Transportation Study. The focus of this study is to examine bus and rail transportation in Illinois that does not originate or terminate in metropolitan Chicago in order to identify strategies on how to improve service for residents in rural communities. The outcome will give insight into the state of intercity bus practice, and provide information about future such efforts in Illinois.
2. Public Transit to Public Lands: The Nature Express. This project is being undertaken in partnership with the Cook County Forest Preserve District. Researchers will develop transit strategies to connect people who lack reliable public transit with options to visit Cook County Forest Preserves.
3. Next Generation Passenger Intermodal 1 Transportation System. Completing the “last mile” – or the first or final leg of a trip on public transit – has long been identified as a challenge for travelers. This research will identify factors that commonly contribute to last mile barriers between public transportation and reaching the final destination and offer some suggested solutions.
4. Divvy and Its Impact on Transit. Since its introduction in 2013, the Divvy bicycle sharing system has proved to be very successful in Chicago. Through this research, the UTC will analyze rental patterns and determine any relationship to transit modes and ridership patterns in the city.
Want to learn more about UTC transportation research and get access to completed research reports, white papers and other documents?
- Visit this page to access reports within six categories.
- Visit this page to access reports by year of completion.
Of course, we welcome thoughts and comments. Please contact us.