Analysis Of The Impact of the Senior Ride Free and Circuit Breaker Programs on the Public Transit in the Chicago Region
The UTC team analyzed ridership data prior to and following the implementation of these programs. A survey of Senior Ride Free pass holders was conducted to understand travel behavior changes. Demographic trends in senior populations were used to estimate the potential future impact of the Senior Ride Free Program on transit systems.
- Principal Investigator
- DiJohn, Joseph
- Research Area(s)
- Data Development
- Metaxatos, Paul; Sen, Ashish; Dirks, Lise; Kokoshi, Valbona
- Funding Source
- Regional Transportation Authority
The focus of this research was to:
- Collect and analyze ridership data from the CTA, Metra and Pace prior to and following the implementation of the Senior Ride Free Program and the Circuit Breaker Program.
- Develop a methodology for estimating the change in ridership due to the free ride programs.
- Collect and analyze Reduced Fare, Senior Ride Free and Circuit Breaker pass data to understand the impact on transit use by individuals.
- Conduct a survey of Senior Ride Free pass holder to understand changes in travel behavior and perceptions about the program.
- Collect senior population forecast data by sub-region to assist in estimating the future impact of a free ride program on the regional transit system.